Wednesday, February 03, 2010

"I Don't Have No Skin Hang-Ups"


Charley Pride - Is Anybody Goin to San Antone? (from VA - From Where I Stand 1998)

My laptop is in the shop right now so for the next week or so I'm going to be posting random stuff found on my old computer and maybe some vinyl rips. Going to be throwing some curve balls, half of which you will probably hate but I expect you hate half of the music I post regularly anyways.

Grammy winner, semi-professional baseball player, manic depressive, and the most successful black Country music artist who ever lived. In fact, Charley Pride was the best selling artist since Elvis on RCA in the mid 70s. He surprised many early in his career who came to see a white man play hillbilly music, eventually becoming the 2nd black artist ever to play the Grand Ole Opry. Did I mention he was nominated for an Oscar too? This kind of success isn't even really possible in the music industry today, and Pride had one hell of a battle within the white medium he was working with. That and dealing with good friend George Jones' Klu Klux Klan tour pranks(read, great/fucked up book). A very interesting artist who put out some great ballads on the poppy tip. I generally lean towards the "drunk and alone" side of things, but sometimes I'm a sap. This is his cover of a Doug Sahm tune and one of my favorites. Off of From Where I Stand, a chronological box set of black Country music that is wonderful.

1 comment:

SdC said...

Hey Dave
This song is the kind of stuff you don't hear at all in France (except some tera focused country fans).
this said this is a beautiful perfectly produced song.