Friday, December 26, 2008

Locked up Behind Xanex Bars



Lil Wayne - I Feel Like Dying (from anything that wasn't The Carter III)

Alright, this isn't new, but I'll take any chance I can get to point out great Wayne vs The Carter III Wayne. I understand that Weezy at his most blatantly drug-addled wasn't really in the record companies plan for going platinum, but if his latest effort consisted of him playing guitar with his feet it would still sell millions. Ether way, this is a slice of the next great psychedelic rapper along with the Divine Styler, New Kingdom, and Fabo. "I Feel Like Dying" takes Wayne swimming around a bottle of Louis the XIII, playing football on marijuana streets, and diving off a mountain into sea of codiene, all revolving around a haunting sample reminding his listeners that just because Bun B did it, he's got no interest in putting down the cough syrup. Most likely, the song was pulled for the same reasons Led Zeppelin were called satan worshipers, the track has secret verses when you play it backwards. I dunno how true that actually is, but it's surprising how clear words come up from the alleged backmasking. Be on the lookout for Mr. Carters greatest psych rap hits, including this track as well as "Me and My Drank", which sounds like Wayne was sucking down Dust Off cans the studio keeps to clean their mixing boards.

No comments: