Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Gyal Dem


Lady Saw - Get Over (Rainforest Riddim 2009)

I'll be the first to admit it, there is a ton of very misogynistic music on this site. I don't know if I'm just too desensitized or what, but the serious lack of female-oriented music on this site makes me look kind of like a dick. Really though, the words "I beat that bitch with a bat" aren't running through my head all day, and I probably listen to Ce'cile as much as I do DJ Deeon. My reaction isn't as thoughtful as some peoples, but Lady Saw's brazenness on this track should help a little. Definitely a different tone than her grim classic Sycamore Tree, she's got more a bad gyal Trina attitude if anything here. Always known for being "controversial" if controversy involves talking about safe sex and being a woman Dancehall musician, this one goes straight for the jugular (or maybe groin area). The eeriness of the Rainforest Riddim doesn't help us poor males ether, combined with her shit talking I'm at least feeling pretty emasculated. It's a man's, man's, man's world, but I don't think Lady Saw is willing to be the woman to care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.