Tuesday, April 20, 2010

5:00 AM Music


Margot Hotus Salinas - E Tu'u Maheke te Ariki Nui (from Akave Heke: Holy Music from the Easter Island 1999)

I have this stupid obsession of collecting music from small islands with sparse populations that might be the case of lame exoticism or obscurity fetishism that I just can't help. Being a poorly traveled city person I think it's hard not to be interested in these places, and there are incredibly beautiful things going on in these parts of the world. Which is why I was psyched to find something from a place that's mysterious on its own. I put this one on for the first time while pulling all-nighter after my ears were shot from too much bass, generally the perfect time for something like this. Music from far off Archipelagos tends to be the perfect to watch the sun come out. The best moment to be absolutely floored by music.

I hear that modern music there is a hybrid of folk from the island and sounds from Chile. If anybody has some of that, holler at me.

No comments: