Wednesday, October 28, 2009

D.C. Not Dodge City Part 37


Lissen Band - Touch It (from Lissen Bootleg 2009)

The Beat! Go Go Music from Washington D.C.
was very recently put back into print, along with a new edition of great photographs from the scene from the last 15 or so years. This summer while I was an intern at Stop Smiling magazine, we got a copy and excerpted a great piece from the book on Go Go and media/lack of media. Local zines and websites covering the scene when many of the Washington papers ignore it completely. The excerpt went up on the web today, and I suggest you read it. Stop Smiling is pretty much the only music related non-D.C. magazine I know of that has done much in terms of covering Go Go, as shown in the D.C. issue with Anwan Glover gracing the cover. Correct me if I'm wrong though, maybe the Fader has something? Xlr8r? Anybody?!

And while we're at it, Lissen band does Missy Elliot, very well.

No comments: